Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Lame

Tax is lame. This is probably my first time in all the years of owning horses I’ve ever really had a lame horse and not known why. He got his back shoes put back on last Saturday and he’s been off ever since. Its not extremely noticeable at the trot but it’s hurting enough that every time I ask him to canter that direction on the lunge he’s in obvious discomfort and drops back to the trot hitching his hip up for a couple of strides. I had the vet check his hoof when she was out the other day and we didn’t find anything with the hoof testers so it’s not likely it’s a hot nail. We decided to reschedule a lameness exam because the weather was so bad and Tax was being just a little insane from being cooped up. I’m not sure what to do at this point…if I should wait a few more days or just schedule the exam and get it over with.  I think I’m scared and my reaction is I really just want to stick my head in the sand and pretend like nothing is wrong.  I won't of course but it's tempting. 

His pastern on that leg has always been slightly bigger than the other side and I've never had it x-rayed. I’m worried that maybe the angle the new farrier trimmed him at might have made some old injury from the track flare up. I’m also worried it might be something worse…maybe he caused some kind of soft tissue injury running around in the mud in the turn out. He’s just always been SO sound. If there is anything really wrong I’m not sure how I’m going to deal with it. This sucks…

I guess if there is any up side to this it’s that I will get to see the cute vet. He came by the barn to pick up something from the other vet who was out and he’s grown his hair out and it’s just a little curly which I love. He also must have gotten contacts or wasn’t wearing his glasses because of the rain. He looked like some kind of angel. He’s adorable and he heals sick horses. I think I’m in love.

No comments: