Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Buying and Selling

Buckpony said...


I sold my Filly pony (without really intending to), so I'll be starting the horse hunt in the near future. I'm going to TRY to be patient in my search...


I have a new philosophy about this. I believe things work out the way they are supposed to. I have to consciously remind myself sometimes that is what I honestly believe. I take my time. I go out to try a horse several times. If things are meant to be then that horse will be there when I get back. If someone else picks it up in the mean time I figure it wasn't meant for that to be my horse. That allows me to feel good about not rushing through a purchase to get a horse I "thought" was perfect but ended up not being a good fit. Just thought I'd mention it.


I read her story on her blog Pike Road Girl about selling her mare, Filly. I loved it. I hope that when I sell Miss December that I find such a good home for her.

I wanted to give an update on how December's doing. Knock on wood, she's been very good at the new barn. She seems more relaxed and I'm going to chalk that up to being turned out in the pasture and the fact I'm not feeding her any supplemental feed or grain. She's holding her weight really well. In fact, my only complaint is that she doesn't stand up to the two geldings in her pasture. I can tell she's getting plenty to eat but has had a couple of pretty good bite marks. Poor thing. I really thought she'd be more of an alpha. At any rate, I'm riding her regularly in the big arena and we've had no acting up. She's as smooth and comfortable as can be and is starting to look really fit. We cantered a course of ground poles recently and she was an angel. I even popped her over a low fence and she was very good. Great distance, not too forward before or after the fence...yay! I'm going to talk to the trainer at our barn about starting lessons so I can try jumping her in earnest before we hit the real rainy season. She's done so well I had to spend a minute to rethink my decision to sell her and not Tax, but I can only have two and alas I think Tax (while he isn't the good mover she is) is my horsie soul mate. I do love that big goofy gelding.

I got to go out and ride Grace this weekend too. She was very good in the indoor arena. Outside in the larger arena at her barn she was very concerned about a big blue horse eating tarp covering the shavings pile. I love that her idea of concerned is to slow down and casually evade the corner closest to the offending tarp. She was pretty determined about not going Over There, but at no time did I feel like she was going to have a fit about it even when I popped her butt with my reins. After our ride I took her down the driveway and halfway up the dirt road the place is on because I'd never ridden her outside of an arena and wanted to see her reaction. She was very quiet. She stopped to look at the big gates as we were leaving, but again, no big reaction. I was able to go where I wanted to go and get back to the barn with no stress. Very nicely done. I gave her a couple of peppermint treats when we were finished and she sure seemed to like that. I think I made a new friend.

4 comments:

buckpony said...

Thanks for the post - I need to heed your advice. This time it would be nice to find THE pony, the one I get to keep for all time. It just hurts to much to sell my family members. If I hadn't felt the way I did about Filly's new owner, she'd still be sitting in my pasture. I hope the same for you and December. It's hard to not be concerned with where they end up and how they are treated.

I loved hearing about Grace. Looking forward to more photos of her, too. There is just something that draws me to paints/pintos. I've always loved them, and she's a beauty!

Fyyahchild said...

Thank you! I think she's pretty darn cute myself. And I've never been a big paint fan but they're growing on me.

I have to get my camera working again and then I'll go shoot some more pics this weekend.

buckpony said...

How's everything going with Grace? It is always so much fun getting to know a new horse. Hope all is well with you guys.

Fyyahchild said...

I need to get a new post up. We went and saw her Sunday and the niece rode bareback for the first time ever. I just love this horse. She's the sweetest thing ever.